On 12th November 1910, the inaugural meeting of the Manchester Dermatological Society was held under the Presidency of Dr HG Brooke. This Society held regular meetings except during the First World War and always invited dermatologists from other cities in the North of England. Liverpool, Sheffield and Leeds were strongly represented. In January 1929 it was decided to expand the Society to the North of England Dermatological Society and the first clinical meeting of the new society was held in March of that year. There has, therefore, been since 1910 an association of dermatologists in the North of England meeting regularly for exchange of ideas and the discussion of cases, unbroken except during the two World Wars.